Bed Bug Elimination by A+ Pest Control
Although bed bugs were virtually extinct 50 years ago, over the last decade they have made a major comeback in the United States. As part of the "current wave of bed bug infestations across America," Oklahoma has also seen a rise--and Oklahomans need to be on the lookout for bed bug activity within their own homes (See Wikipedia.com). We at A+ Pest Control want to ensure that your home is bed bug free. The following suggestions will help you identify bed bugs and give you information on how we can help you eliminate them from your property.
Bed bugs have flat rusty-red-colored oval bodies and have 6 legs. Adult bed bugs are about the size of an apple seed and are big enough to be easily seen. They hide in the cracks of furniture, floors, mattresses, walls or electronics. Most bed bug bites are initially painless, but later turn into large, itchy skin bumps. These bumps do not have a red spot in the center as do the bites from fleas. While bed bugs are NOT known to spread diseases, their bites often cause itchy skin welts and can lead to secondary infections of the skin and lymph glands. Persons coping with bed bug infestations may also experience anxiety, insomnia and possibly other nervous system disorders (See the Oklahoma Dept of Health website).
How an Infestation begins
In most cases, people carry bed bugs into their homes unknowingly. Usually bed bugs arrive in infested furniture, bedding, clothing or luggage. You can identify a bed bug if you notice itchy skin bumps when you wake up. You may also see the bed bugs themselves or the bloodstains from crushed insects. Dark spots often appear on bedding from their droppings. It is often hard to find them because they hide during daylight hours in or near beds, other furniture, and in cracks around the bed.
Our Treatment Program
The Health Department "recommends that homeowners hire pest control companies registered by the Oklahoma Department of Agriculture to get rid of bed bugs." As a company registered and licensed by the Department of Agriculture, A+ Pest Control takes great pride and care in meticulously inspecting and treating your home for bed bugs. Our comprehensive bed bug service is guaranteed to get rid of your infestation by completing the following 4 steps:
- A Detailed Inspection
- In order to determine the extent of your infestation, we will closely inspect all beds, box springs, bed frames, dressers, and all furniture in the bedrooms and throughout the house.
- Your Participation
- To fully rid your home of bed bugs, we will need your help and cooperation. Our state-certified technicians will inform you of the steps you need to take in this process. All clothes, blankets, pillows, sheets, and all other bedding will need to be laundered and bagged. Frequent vacuuming around the area is also helpful. Other tips for keeping your home bed-bug free will be offered by your technician.
- Our Treatment and Application
- The initial treatment consists of five main steps. The first is:
- Steam: One of the best ways to kill bed bugs is with extreme heat. Your technician will go over all mattresses, box springs, bed frames, dressers, drawers, and all other furniture in the home with a vacuum-like steamer. This 150-degree steam will kill all the bed bugs and eggs it directly contacts. Since it would be impossible to find every bug and egg, the next step is
- Base Spray: We will apply a base spray on all carpets, baseboards, and any cracks and crevices on the interior of the home. We use only the most proven and effective products available (such as: Suspend, Gentrol IGR, and Exciter).
- Residual Application: Following the initial base spray, we again apply a residual spray to all the bedding, mattresses, and furniture in the home with a product called Bedlam Plus. This product will kill any bugs that may reemerge in these areas over time.
- Outlets: In an effort to hide from sight and from our products, bed bugs often seek shelter in the electrical outlets throughout the home. As a result, we remove all outlet coverings and inject a residual dust (either Delta or Alpine Dust) into each outlet. After reattaching each cover, we begin the final and most important step.
- Fume: To ensure that all the bed bugs are killed and that they never return again, we fume the house with “Nuvan Pro Strips.” These strips, that look and act like an air freshener, release a slow but steady toxin into each room. Given the toxicity of this product, it is necessary for all occupants to leave the home for a period of 3 to 7 days depending on the severity of the infestation. Unfortunately, no reentry is allowed while the strips are active. Following removal of the strips, we will open all windows and doors, and turn on fans throughout the house. Once the home has been properly ventilated for a period of two or three hours, the customer is free to reenter their bed bug-free home.
- Follow Up Inspections and Treatments
- If, by chance, your problem does persist, a light base spray treatment should eliminate all bugs that may have hatched since the previous treatment. This treatment, however, is seldom if ever needed as bed bugs are almost always completely gone after the fuming process.
Ultimately, bed bugs are a pest that can irritate you and your family for a long period if not treated promptly and properly. Our bed bug service is extremely thorough and is guaranteed to get rid of all your bugs. If you think that you might have bed bugs in your home, please call us today for your inspection. Diagnosing the problem early can reduce both the cost and the intensity of your treatment. Remember, we are always happy to answer any questions you many have about your bed bug issues. As always, your satisfaction is our top priority.